RE: RC: beet pulp

Pass this message on to RC for me, will you?

Cheryl is correct in that there are little or no simple sugars left in beet
pulp after processing.  It's highly unlikely that there were any additives
for ruminants in it, either.  Beet pulp gets processed at the sugar
refinery plant, not at another feed mill where ruminant feeds might be
formulated, and they wouldn't just light-heartedly put rumensin or whatever
into a bag of beet pulp---that stuff is way expensive and they tend to keep
tight tabs on where it's going.  And even if it had accidentally gotten
into a bag of beet pulp, it wouldn't affect a horse the way Cheryl
described.

As to what caused her horse to behave that way, I don't know, but I'd bet
the farm it wasn't beet pulp.  Last year I had someone ask for help with
her horse's diet because, just as Cheryl described, after feeding her horse
a particular ration, they refused to load into her trailer and panicked
getting anywhere near it.  Must be the grain, right?  I went over to take a
look at the trailer where it was parked in the sun near some boulders and
lo and behold, there were about a half dozen rattlesnakes underneath it
hanging out in the shade.  We cleared them out and by golly if that horse's
grain-induced problems go away.

Anyway, your problems weren't caused by beet pulp.  Keep looking.  There's
probably something else frightening your horse.

Good luck,
Susan Garlinghouse