Re: RC: RC: New born foals

In a message dated 2/24/00 11:36:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
woa@stormnet.com writes:

<< Perhaps Dr. Newell and others could comment on this as well:
 My vet says that there is a reaction that can happen to some horses from
 the tetanus anti-toxin given just after birth. The horrible thing is
 that the reaction doesn't occur until about two years later when the
 horse simply drops dead. When one of my mares foaled a month early and I
 of course had had no time to give her the 3 way, I had to make the
 decision whether to risk tetanus or to risk the reaction. >>

You are likely talking about a risk of serum sickness from antitoxin--it is
VERY rare and isn't exactly "simply dropping dead" but it can happen.  Foals
are born with a fairly competent immune system and are quite capable of
responding just fine to the actual tetanus toxoid, rather than the antitoxin.
 If one knows that the mare is not up on her own tetanus vaccinations, then
that is the treatment of choice unless the chance of immediate exposure at
birth is high.  It is less risky than antitoxin and also is a smaller volume
to inject into tiny muscles.  If there is a lot of contamination at birth,
then the value of the antitoxin outweighs the risk.

Heidi