Re: RC: extruded and steam rolled

In a message dated 2/22/00 6:30:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
scottj@cyberlynk.com writes:

<< Okay, I'll express my ignorance:  what does extruded mean and how does one
 know if the grain has been steam rolled?  I feed a senior feed to a senior
 horse (duh), as well as C.O.B. to the other horses, occasionally. >>

Extruded feed is cooked and mixed into a mush and then sort of "pushed"
through a sort of screen-like affair to make it the appropriate shape and
aerate to a degree.  If you've never fed an extruded horse feed, then think
of chunks of dog food--it is generally made by extrusion, too.

As for steam rolling--it will generally say on the label.  Steam rolling is
the most common commercial rolling process used.  If in doubt, ask your feed
dealer.

Heidi