Re: RC: ride managers

In a message dated 2/21/00 9:36:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cancer@simplyweb.net writes:

<< My feeling is that the organization
 provides a structure that enables ride managers to put on rides,  which
attracts
 more riders because it assures the participants that there will be a level
 playing field, competent vets, and a recourse if they feel that there were
not
 treated fairly.  Whether they ride or not, and accumulate points and earn
awards
 or not, I feel that ride managers get value by the structure that AERC
provides,
 and I  myself am willing to pay the 17 cents a day that it costs. >>

Terry, I agree with your rationale, and have willingly paid the full price as
a veterinarian, even on years that I have not ridden.  It has just been my
experience that sometimes by offering such things as the non-riding
membership to those who work, you encourage them to eventually become full
members.  Of course, RM's are a captive audience because they "have to"
join--but what about other ride workers?  Wouldn't it be nice to have an
inexpensive way to involve them voluntarily in the organization, make them
better educated, and maybe even increase their interest?  Just trying to look
at the possible benefits here, and I think they could be enormous if we went
about such a thing in the right way.

Heidi