Re: RC: Re: vetting criteria

In a message dated 2/21/00 5:05:22 PM Pacific Standard Time,
provincmk@fanninelectric.com writes:

<<  must have missed it, too---it would be of interest.

 I, too, would like the information on videos, etc,  Sally---thanks for
 asking.

 Claudia >>

Ok. Again.

1) Body Weight changes as an indicator of severe dehydration. The science
says that 3% o 4% of body weight loss during enduracne competition indicates
the beginnings of severe dehydration--to the point where gut absorption of
water is compromised.

2) Portable blood analyzers are now available. Look at muscle enzymes for
muscle damage, total protein and PCV for indications of dehydration, GGT and
AST for liver indications, cortisol for stress, pH, glucose, and other
parameters for half a dozen other conditions.

3) Computerized HR monitors tracked against speed. Working heartrates rise
with distress, and these heartrates are better indicators than recoveries
because artifacts, particularly emotion, or lack of it, don't have as
dramatic an effect.

4) The type of platform New Bolton Center used to use to diagnose subtle
lamenesses via what they called the "shiver factor" Injuries cause
proprioceptors to send messages that conflict with commands sent from the CNS
to control muscle and leg stability and stance--so you get a shiver. Subtle,
but easily seen on an oscilloscope.

5) Infrared thermography.

6) Several other modalities have been played with--researchers at Cornell
have looked at EEGs for stress indications, for example--some of these
machines are portable. ECGs would give an accurate rendition of heart
irregularities. EMGs to measure muscle response. One Ridecamper just informed
me of a portable device for noninvasively measuring blood glucose, tissue
oxygenation and a number of other parameters that is under development.

That's a start. By the time these are tested and implemented, I'll have more.

ti