Sheila Varian and Ronteza

While we were all floundering around trying to recall the name of the class
that Sheila Varian entered and won with Ronteza, I just decided to e-mail her
and find out straight from the source.  Following is her answer to me:

<<Barbara:

You do go way back..... The class you are thinking of was the Cow Palace
$1,000 Reined Cow Horse Championship.... At the time winning the Cow Palace
was called Winning the World. Ronteza went three times to win the
Championship... each time she did a dry work pattern and then worked a cow.
The Reined Cow Horse that injured his leg was Bay Event (Bay Abi x Ronteza).>>

The year was 1961.

I also asked her the name of her remarkable gelding that had suffered such a
hideous accident while out in pasture.  I had read an article about him in an
old copy of Arabian Horse World.  The power company had been working on a
line on Sheila's ranch and had left a line on the ground.  It might have been
a guy wire, or who knows what.  Anyway, the gelding tangled with it and
severed a tendon completely.  Sheila took him to the vet clinic Alamo Pintada
(I think I have that name right) and they worked mightily on him, actually
grafting a portion of another tendon onto the injured one.  After a lengthy
recuperation, she brought him back and won with him, too (also in a spade
bit).

Barbara