Re: RC: ride managers

Terre,

This has been discussed at the board meetings before.   The reason that they require that the ride manager be a member (whether the "official" ride manager or "queen for a day") is that they want someone who is familar with the sport and the rules involved since frequently there are questions that come up during the day that involve someone familar with the sport, policy, and has some background of the sport.  A land owner, etc., who was not familar with the sport and rules could make an "on the spot decision" which could effect the outcome of the race and leave the ride open for a protest.  It seems hard to imagine that there wouldn't be some AERC member in the area who couldn't step in to manage the ride for a day (someone whose horse maybe was lame or, hadn't had time to train, etc.).

To be truthful,  I manage the rides in San Diego, and I would have a real problem turning the ride over to someone else for the day since I find that so many things come up during the day that need handling for the ride to run smoothly.  Of course, I would love to ride my ride since I know the trail, it's close, etc., but I choose to the put on the rides, and just accept the fact that I have to travel to participate in rides.

Terry Woolley Howe