Re: RC: Re: CRI

In a message dated 2/20/00 9:43:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, Tivers@aol.com
writes:

<< And that's what I see being practiced by some vets in some rides--the
 enforcement of whims. This, to me, is evidence of human frailty. >>

No disagreement there, Tom.  But fortunately this is not the scenario with
MOST vets at MOST rides.

Yes, our tools are faulty.  And the supposedly drunk driver stopped by the
policeman because his car is weaving all over the road is a good example.
This driver probably can't pass the field sobriety test, which is an
imperfect tool.  You are right that WHEN HE GOES TO COURT it is the actual
blood alcohol test that counts.  Unfortunately, the officer cannot use that
as an enforcement tool immediately in the field.  And so what?  If the driver
is weaving all over the road, it doesn't matter whether he is drunk or on the
verge of a diabetic coma!   The point is to STOP the driver before he kills
himself or others.  THAT is the job of the ride vet.  We frequently do not
have the tools in the field to make a definitive diagnosis as to WHY the
horse needs to be stopped, but we can, to a great degree of accuracy,
determine that he DOES need to be stopped!  The vets in the treatment barn or
back at the rider's home clinic can do a more complete workup and decide if
this a serious situation or not, and quite frankly, the goal on the course is
to stop the horse BEFORE the situation becomes so serious that the horse
either becomes worthless (or dead) or has to undergo a long layoff time.
This is akin to your investigations of race horses that break down, and very
much like your own admitted efforts to minimize that from happening.

When one is having to make a split-second decision at Vet Check 3 as to
whether this horse can or cannot go on, it is immaterial to the immediate
decision whether the metabolic upset is a colic, a tie-up, or simply an
overridden horse.  The important thing is to decide whether or not this horse
can go on.

And no, we are not out to "save" the horses from the "stupid" people.  This
sport is sufficiently time intensive and complex that we really don't meet
very many "stupid" people out there--some that don't know much yet, sure, but
even most of those are striving to learn.  Most actively participate in the
evaluations of their horses and in the decisions to pull them.  However, like
most focused, driven athletes, sometimes even the most conscientious and
intelligent of endurance riders needs a little tap on the shoulder and a
suggestion to step back and look at the "big picture" regarding their horse.

Your comments on this subject further underscore your need to come out and
actually see what DOES happen at most of the rides.

Heidi