Re: RC: Re: why are those anal tone checks still being done?

In a message dated 02/17/2000 4:09:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tondi313@yahoo.com writes:

<< Can a vet out there explain in professional
 terms(sorry about the vernacular with the vulva,
 guys)why anal tone is still being checked?  I have
 been to rides where vets don't bother and some where
 vets still do it.   >>

A flacid anal sphincter muscle is an indicator of extreme fatique.  Back in
1971, my first endurance ride, on an unconditioned running QH, (I knew
NOTHING about endurance and had no one to teach me), I actually managed to
reach 45 miles into a 50 miler.  It took 12 hours and of course I was DQ'd.
The vets weren't very knowledgeable then either, at least the one on this
ride wasn't.  All the symtoms of actue fatigue were there, including the
flacid anal sphincter, but he said "the horse looks alert, I'm going to let
you go on".  Farther down the trail, when the poor horse was hot to the touch
but not sweating, I suspected I was in trouble.  And there was no water
provided along the trail in strategic spots.  There wasn't even water at the
first vet check, 12 miles from the start.  I am SO glad we have all learned
what we now know in this sport and that we are continuing to learn.

Barbara