Re: Riding with (without) pain

>>>Here's another little tip: when discussing your situation, reframe it in
>a positive way; i.e.,  stay away from the word "pain" in your
>descriptions, as that tends to reinforce all of the things you *don't*
>want. Substitute a positive affirmation, such as "I will ride with
>freedom and joy from this day forward" or something that works for you.<<
>
>this is a good point.  it is known that humans don't hear the negatives -
>when you tell an adolescent "don't stay out late" they conveniently miss the
>"don't".  if we tell ourselves "i will not feel the pain"  we will feel the
>pain.  "i will not be afraid"  we will be afraid.  better to reframe the
>self-talk to "i will ride comfortably" or "i will ride forward", etc.

This is a very good point.  Jane Savoie, former Olympic dressage rider,
tours the country now giving motivational speeches.  I've had the
opportunity to listen to her several times...and one of her big points
(these were lectures to riding instructors) is to always be *positive* with
students AND with yourselves.  Anytime you think or say "don't...", your
brain (or the student's brain) will register "do".  (And for those
interested in dressage training, she has 2 new books out on cross training
with dressage for all disciplines.  Excellent books -- easy to understand
and done in the classical dressage style...which is a *step by step*,
gradual building process done over time.

Another thing that I like that has helped me identify real pain is yoga.  I
have an excellent instructor that helps train our brains to differentiate
between real pain and the mind telling you it just wants to quit.  She
cautions against ignoring the real pain and gives us thought tools to use
to work thru the moments when the brain doesn't *want* to do the exercise
any more.  The most important fact here is to learn the difference and have
the ability to focus beyond the discomfort (but to quit if it's real,
hurtful pain), relax that part of the body, and continue to breathe deep
belly breaths.  It's amazing how much control the mind tries to take from
the spirit!

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm