Re: Riding with Pain

>I'm glad this topic is being discussed. I'm one of those who takes asprin
>daily to avoid 2nd, 3rd, or is that 5th (whatever) heart attack. I'm still
>young, well kind of, 41.  ;-)   I really want to participate in endurance
>riding.... not 'racing' for obvious reasons! Does anyone have experience
>riding with angina, any ideas? Guess I better at least remember to wear a
>medical ID. Are RM's going to politely ask me to stay in my tent??? Anyone
>else out there pursuing distance riding with coronary artery disease?

Hi Cheryl,
I don't have coronary artery disease (well, by now I'm sure I have *some*
but it's not symptomatic) but I do have chronic PVCs...not occasional, but
the kind that happen a couple of times a minute...the ones that make it
feel as if your heart misses a beat and then follows with a "thunk" feeling
in your chest.  I've checked out okay (had an echo and don't have any valve
problems) so they just shrug their shoulders...but, being a heart nurse, I
consider as many aspects as I can.  I take my aspirin regularly despite
possible problems that might occur because of the increased clotting time.
It's a trade off and I'm aware of the risks.  I also carry it with me in
case I ever develop chest pains, or anyone else around me does, while we're
out on the trail.  If you've had heart problems in the past, I would
definitely recommend that you keep taking the aspirin and I would also look
into carrying some nitroglycerine with you in case you have problems with
angina...also take aspirin with you since it's a very easy thing to do that
will help keep your blood from developing emboli that could plug a coronary
artery.  An ID tag might be a good idea as long as it was visible and
easily readable.  (Remember all of the "older" riders may not have their
"reading" glasses with them. <g>)

Don't give up your dreams -- but make sure that the people you ride with
are aware of your handicap...and if it comes some day that you would need a
coronary artery bypass...go for it!  The heart loves having those bypass
grafts and getting all that good oxygen to the myocardium.  There are
people that have had this done and are riding competitions.  Good luck on
your first ride.  I'll be looking forward to hear how it went!

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.