Re: RC: Riding with Pain

>I'd like to know how you cope with pain while riding. In my case, the pain
>is in pulled muscles or ligaments where my left leg is attached to the
>pelvis. This happened Christmas Day and I haven't ridden since. Yes, I've
>consulted my physician and we're working on it, but I begin to fear it may
>be chronic.
>
>First of all, it still hurts too much to sit on my horse, but even if I
>could sit on him, I'd constantly be so tense I'd be giving him all sorts of
>weird signals. We haven't been together long enough and he's not experienced
>enough to cope or be forgiving of "weird signals."
>
>Coping strategies would be appreciated.
>

>T'Lara J. Freedom

Consult your doctor and/or a physical therapist and see if a stim machine
will work for you (they make little portable units that could ride in a
fanny pack while the electrodes snake under your waistband).  They mostly
relieve muscle spasms (I have one I use on my lower back, mostly so I can
sleep in camp), but can also block the transmission of the pain signals
(work similar to acupuncture).

I've also gotten relief for my back while riding by using a Nikken magnet
pad tucked in the back of my tights.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky