Re: Riding with Pain

My sister thought she would never be able to ride again after neck surgery.
 I know she takes a lot of pain medication and I shudder to think how much
she may take when she attempts her first 50.  However, I know her so well
and I know what she's taking and I guess I feel it's important for her to
let me know what is going on with her physically.  She doesn't usually have
to tell me but she also has a high tolerance for pain and pain killers.
However, I know when she starts making certain noises that she in in LOTS
of pain and we adjust the pace accordingly (she wouldn't do it or ask us to
do it!).  I think it's important that ride management be aware when someone
has to take medications for some conditions that might have a significant
impact on their care and treatment should they become injured during a ride
or God forbid, be unconscious and unable to tell us if no one is about who
does know!  We talked about this at our safety lecture at our awards
banquet.  I don't think we ever came up with anything concrete.  Medic
alert bracelets/necklaces were mentioned.  What about asking on the entry
form for those with certain health problems to alert ride management just
in case???  Just wondering what everybody might think about that.

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.
McBain, Michigan 49657