DNA info

I stumbled across this info while I was doing a search around the Texas A&M
Vet School website...ended up in the Martindale desk area and then started
looking at stuff on the Virtual Vet area.  (I'm real exciting company on a
Saturday night, eh??! ;-))  Anyway, Steve's best boyhood friend found him a
couple of weeks ago and they got a chance to talk to each other after about
30 years.  Turns out he has a TB and racing QH ranch near Texas A&M where
he breeds and trains...he also boards 25 horses for the vet school for some
kind of research.  I got a chance to visit the new vet school facilities a
couple of years ago...quite impressive!  This all prompted Steve to look up
the A&M info which led to my exciting Staurday night reading. ;-)

I've wandered off the subject a bit...anyway, here's the info I stumbled on
regarding the subject of DNA.  This subject was being discussed by Ann
Bowling and there's lots more info where this came from but most of it was
so far over my head that my eyes glazed over...but some of you might find
it pertinent, or at least interesting.

Sue

>Question: I just received the results of the DNA testing on my horse. I
assume that the letters are codes. Could
>you give me a list of the code meanings?
>
>Answer: The DNA test for horses provides an assignment of an individual's
genetic variation at 10-15 different
>genes of a general type known as microsatellites. Microsatellites (also
called short tandem repeats, STRs) are
>composed of simple repeats of DNA subunits, primarily in chromosomal
regions not used as templates for protein
>synthesis. These genes are chosen to be powerfully effective for
identification of individuals and for parentage
>verification, not for their utility for making horse breeding decisions.
>
>Each gene has from about 5-12 recognizable variants, which differ from
each other in the length of the repeated
>sequence. The variants are assigned letter designations using an
internationally accepted nomenclature. For
>example, for HTG6 your horse could have the letter designation GO. This
would mean that your horse's pair of
>markers for HTG6 are G and O. Taken together for all the genes tested, the
marker types define a genetic profile
>and provide a powerful tool for individual identification. The genetic
markers are inherited according to principles
>of Mendelian genetics. Failure of an offspring of the example horse to
have either an HTG6-G or an HTG6-O, in
>conjunction with information from other genes, could provide evidence for
parentage exclusion. We know of no
>particular association of any gene codes in this DNA testing panel with
phenotypic traits that might be of interest
>to horse breeders.

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.