alfalfa feed

I have been getting alfalfa in the dehydrated form in a 'plastic bale'.. and feed it sort of like grain.. ie in a bucket.  I started using it a few yrs ago to supplement the hay as here in Tx we have been have some bad hay years due to drought for past 4 yrs.   I do not feed it exclusively but as a 'supplement' and have had no problems.  But have not been riding seriously.   Anyone have any experience with it?  I a few days I will be moving to NC for 13 weeks. Would it be a good idea to feed them the alfalfa during the trip or wait and restart when I get there?  I usually feed coastal hay free choice during the drive and only feed grain to bribe them back into the horse trailer.  Any experiences you have to relate would be appreciated.  Mary Ann