Re: RC: [Fwd: RC: Research at rides]

Hi Wolfgang
There are leg defects in the bigger horses just as there are similar
defects in the smaller ones. Since the larger Arabs are a relatively
newer phenomenon, there are, of course, less of them to choose from. By
larger Arabs I am referring to those 15.2 and above. One would have to
look through a smaller population for the desired qualities in a larger
horse. I don't know how familiar you are with the current prices of
endurance horses in the states, but it is difficult to recoup what you
have in the horse in feed currently--ave. price for endurance horse in
my (and other breeders I talk to ) experience is $3500--Randy Eiland
concurred with this in a recent conversation. He did not see this figure
raising by too much in the immediate future. Soooo, if tall purebreds
are relatively rare, if the same odds apply for good conformation in the
taller horses as in the shorter horses, and if a breeder can sell a tall
purebred good conformation to the Hunter or Sporthorse Market for
$20,000- $30,000 rather than the $3500-$5000 endurance market, guess why
you are not going to see many of them in the endurance world. Valerie
got her 16.1hh son of Hal for a steal because the owner had money and
just wanted to see Pico Nightrider's natural athletic ability actualized
and I had convinced Ted to take him off the racetrack before they killed
my baby with steroids!
I know I cannot continue to sell my conformationally correct, athletic,
tall get of Halynov for less than it costs me to raise them and am going
to target the sporthorse people for my tall guys, unless prices go up in
what endurance riders are willing to pay in the US. Many breeders here
will not even negotiate with endurance riders now due to the low prices.
It is truly said because I feel that endurance people for the most part
are the nicest and most concerned about their horses. Just look at all
the recent posts! Looks like all of you are in vet school. I WANT my big
guys in your homes; it is just that other breeders and myself can no
longer afford to take the loss. So now I sell breedings and the very few
sales horses I have left. I stopped breeding for sales 3 years ago---
sad.
Hope this answers your questions about the fewer tall horses with good
legs in endurance. If anyone believes you cannot get quality and tall in
a purebred, I invite you to contact me privately and ask for Halynov's
video.
Bette
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of TLA Halynov
http://www.stormnet.com/~woa
I've learned that life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it
gets to the end, the faster it goes. Smell the roses!