Re: RC: Re: Selenium problem

In a message dated 2/10/00 1:34:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mmieske@netonecom.net writes:

<< Because I'm a dumb newbie but I knew our area was deficient in SE levels.
 (One of our neighbors lost a horse to white muscle disease a couple of
 years ago.) >>

Clinically, I can sympathize with that, if your area is as deficient as ours.
 We can pretty well figure our rations at zero, so can do a fair amount of
supplementation without fear of toxicity.  This is not so in some other parts
of the country!  We get more into testing when dealing with either athletic
horses that really need to have everything functioning at maximal efficiency
or horses that simply continue to have problems on a "basic" supplementation
program.  And there can be quite a difference between horses in the same barn
on the same diet and essentially on the same training/work programs in terms
of how much supplementation it takes to keep levels in the normal range.

Heidi