RE: Re: Selenium problem

> Clinically, I can sympathize with that, if your area is as
> deficient as ours.
>  We can pretty well figure our rations at zero, so can do a fair
> amount of
> supplementation without fear of toxicity.  This is not so in some
> other parts
> of the country!

The last time we had this discussion, I learned from some of you that
Maryland is probably Se deficient, but that I should find out for sure.

Easier said than done.  Local extension service had no info.  State Ag Dept
had no info.  Ditto USDA.  Finally found a chemist in the Soil Lab at Univ.
of Maryland.  He told me that Se is not tested for in this area because no
one thinks there's an economic imperative to do so.  But he remembered a
USGS report and said he would try to find it and call me back.  He did both.
USGS report put us in the lowest category for Se.

I started SeE supplementation (8mg) and had my gelding tested about eight
months later.  My vet sent two vials to Cornell, each under a different
horse's name (healthy paranoia made me willing to pay for two tests).  The
results came back almost identical, and within normal range.

BTW -- Found out later that one horse at the small farm where I board tied
up some years ago when it was being conditioned for distance work and then
was laid off for two weeks.

Cindy (in Baltimore)