Re: Heartrates up to 220

At 10:52 AM 2/10/00 +0100, Wolfgang Schwingenheuer wrote:
>So what you describe above seems - for me - not to be a "real" training
>for your
>horse. What you do is bit of conditioning when riding 45 minutes in the 100+
>range.

Yeah I know I'm not really doing anything specific training wise because
over the last couple of years I've been riding a lot of mileage. 1998 -
1455 miles on Weaver, and 1999 - 1335 miles on Rocky (plus additional miles
I did on the spare horse whichever one was the spare at the time).  I
really did not do a lot of 'conditioning' per se, rather it was maintaining
their conditioning and used the 50's as conditioning for the 100's and
multidays.

>As I said earlier, the highest hr can not be achieved on the flat (or near to
>that). The safest way is to use some good hills. But please don't go out
>and try
>to beat the 200+-mark with the first attempt. Do it gradually, i.e. try do get

Don't worry, I've been trying for years and haven't ever been able to
achieve a 200 heart rate on either of my horses!  I might try for 180
instead and work on increasing the length of time they are up that high - I
doubt they have ever even been that high for more than a few seconds at a
time.

Of my two horses, one will trot part of my training course at a 130 HR
(it's gradual uphill or it wouldn't be nearly that high) and the other one
will do it at 140.  It is very interesting to see how they vary so much.  I
can do 12 miles in 45 minutes this way, though I usually take an hour or
more because I get off to run and that slows us down :^).  (btw, for the
horses first two years of conditioning we'd take almost 3 hours to do that
same 12 miles--it's got a lot of hill in it)

Today I know that
>there are two types of endurance riders (no, please not another discussion
>about
>this).

Male and female? <G>

>Always a pleasure to share some knowledge with others,

Thanks.  I'll see how it goes in the next few weeks, just out of
curiosity.  Now that I've got the monitor working again.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV