Re: RC: Re: working heart rate

In a message dated 2/10/00 5:03:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mmieske@netonecom.net writes:

<<  knew if I read through, someone would ask this for me...I'm so proud for
 being patient! I also thought that the fitter the horse, the lower the
 heart rate.  My horse's HR will run 130-140 at a good working trot but
 drops to 110-120 at an easy gallop.  Does this mean he is NOT fit or that
 by working him at the HR you suggest, he can become more fit than he is?
 Also, our stallion, with very little conditioning has always run around 120
 at a good trot, and 100-110 at an easy gallop (ok, ok, I admit....I am
 holding him back, too... if I let him go as fast as he wants and is able
 even at this point of "unfitness", I might need to carry a change of
 drawers!!)...this is a very interesting thread and appreciate the time you
 are giving to it.

 Maggie Mieske >>

Think of the gaits of the horse like a transmission in a car. Your
observatons reflect what should be happening--just as the RPM guage in your
car drops when you shift from 2nd to 3rd gear.

Tom