Re: RC: Re: working heart rate

Maggie,

Your horse is moving & using himself more effeciently
at the canter than at the trot when you measured his
heart rate.  You found the threshhold at which it is
most efficient for him to break over into the next
gait.

Hence the idea - I choose the speed, the horse chooses
the gait to accomplish this with the least amount of
stress.  (It doesn't work in all situations, like over
rocks, trails <I'm> scared on with cliffs & dropoffs,
etc.)

And yes, you can almost always improve fitness.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch