working heart rate

I've been following this thread with interest, but am curious why some
think the working heart rate should be the same for each horse. I used to
be an endurance athlete and I had my maximum heart rate tested (under
controlled conditions, pushed myself to the point where my heart rate
reached a plateau and then started creeping down in spite of my best
efforts, then my "working heart rate" was calculated based on that. My
maximum heart rate was 196, whereas my training partner's was 175 which
meant nothing regarding our comparative fitness; it was just an individual
difference. I'm not sure how you would go about determining a horse's
maximum heart rate, but I'm willing to bet it varies among individuals.
Maybe Tom has some insight on this...?

Adrienne
Portland, OR