Re: RC: Heartrates up to 220

guest@endurance.net writes:

<< Here in the foothills and mountains of N.C. about all we do is interval
training. Up hill down hill and often reach heartrates of 210 to 220. Been
doing this for 6 years and our horses have excellent recoveries. Does anyone
out there go this high with rates? Mike Everett

A couple-three that I've talked to--and they're building some very good
endurance horses.

A long time ago I was talking to the track coach of Oregon State--he had some
Olympic level marathoners in training--and he had his guys running stadium
steps alongside the football players. I asked him if that kind of work wasn't
inappropriate for distance athletes and he told me that the extra strength
came in real handy at the end of a race and, besides "remember, you're not
training muscle cells, you're training neurons". That is, spinning up
neurotransmitting chemicals makes any kind of exercise easier and more
efficient. After stadium steps, running on the flat was nothing.

ti