Arlene's accident and other medical stuff

While we have some experienced RN's and ER nurses...I have a question.
My husband in the Marine Corps and we have lived in AZ for about 3 years...My
Asthma has gotten progressively worse over the last 3 years.  Now I'm
thinking OK
I'm on the trail, I have an asthma attack, is it worth the risk...I don't
think so.
I have a portable nebulizer, am on inhaled steroids, as well as provental and
Serevent I'm still not really good.  Here is the question...would it be
feasible to take like a dose pack of oral steroids, the 5 mg ones with the
daily reduction of dosage before and during a ride?  Up until we moved to AZ.
My asthma was totally manageable and I did at least one ride a month with no
problem.  I talked to my doctor and he said he would give me the
prescription...but I would like any input from any one who can help me... I
really don't want to get out of endurance,
 e-mail me privately on this as not to  clutter up RC   Thanks Mona