Re: helmets

><<  Part of my
>fear of helmets is that I'm not sure what effect the helmet would have
>on my sommersaulting. Anyone care to comment? >>
>
>Not sure on the sumersaulting part, but it sure helps when your head
connects
>with a low branch.  Cracked my helmet in half last May -- sure glad I had it
>on.

I've been reading the comments written and I'm trying to envision being
able to tuck and roll in the areas that we ride!  I had a fairly uneventful
incident on Sunday while doing some fast trotting down a new zig-zaggy
trail in a wooded area near a local busy road...Blaze did a major spook,
bolt, zig-zag on the trail just cuz of some silly ole' refrigerator someone
had dumped!  After trying to find enough rein (in the middle of being
lurched from side to side while bolting forward) to convince him to stop
(was riding with totally loose reins -- "on the buckle" in dressagese ;-)),
I got the reins picked up a little unevenly causing him to turn to the
right.  I had the choice to grab saddle or mane with my right hand and risk
injury to my right shoulder (bad injury there 3 years ago when trying to
not too fall off during a bucking episode on a green horse)...or bail!  I
had to decide quickly since there were several trees coming up on this
serpentine trail...so I opted for the closest bush.  (If you turn to face
the horse as you are "dismounting", you'll most likely land on your
butt...but my husband maintains it's because the heaviest part lands
first!! <g>)  I landed in the bush...Blaze bounced about 10 feet further
and stopped and waited for me to hop back on.  Had I not bailed at that
time, I would have been more likely to hit my head on something pretty
lumpy and hard...lots of trees, tree limbs, roots, and rocks in this area!!
 Next time I may not have the choice.  Tuck and roll was not even in the
options -- no where to roll!! ;-)  And what ever happened to taking old
appliances to the dump???

And, yes, I *always* wear my helmet!  I prefer the Lexington models because
they fit my head better...the Troxels tend to be loose side-to-side.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.