helmets

I know this subject is getting old but in one post someone was supposedly
weighing the dangers of wearing a helmet to not wearing one.  What scales
are you using??????  Then, someone eluded to the fact that they do not
wear seat belts for the same reason. Wow!  I think if you would listen to
us that are affiliated with Emergency Rooms in one way or another (there
have been a couple) plus counting the posts of personal accidents where
helmets have actually saved lives, you will find that the odds weigh out
to wear one. You cannot beat hard, cold facts.  However, it is a free
country and if it is just because you don't want to wear one, I would
understand that logic more, but the ratios do not point to helmets doing
more bad than good.  One time I was on a trail and very young horse
decided he wanted to visit some brush nearby that I had not asked him to
visit.  A branch got caught under my visor and I had the sensation I was
going to be decapitated -plus, the horse was still wanting to go forward.
 I just quickly unsnaped my chin strap and I was free.  I have to admit
it did make me think about helmets for a while.  But again, the scales I
use in comparing helmet versus no helmet must be different than the ones
you have.  Also, no seat belts?  Again, after six years of dealing with
ER reports (about 60 a day) from all around the country, only once have I
heard of a person dying from a seat belt.  Yes, there may be bruising in
that area from the belt but  there have been hundreds upon hundreds that
I personally know of that were saved by the belt and could have cared
less about the bruising, etc.  Lets see - 1 versus hundreds.  Which do I
choose?  But, that's just me and I do gamble going WITH the odds.  O.k.,
last post from me on helmets and I hope I did not make anybody mad.
"Pro-choicers" you do have a right to your choice and I commend you for
speaking out on your opinion.  Terri

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.