people conditioning

I am very fortunate to train with a guy who was Mr. France and Mr. Europe many years ago.  I believe he was on the presidents council for physical fitness after he came to this country.  A small group of women train one day a week with him and on our own in-between.  The heaviest weight is 1# but by the end of the hour and a half you are exhausted.  Lots of stretching and reverse muscle work geared towards riders (i.e.: we pull back to slow down the horse but don't extend our arms using the opposite muscles).  Lots of squats with your arms extended and overhead and a nice mix of kick boxing for balance.  I have been training with him for about a year now and I love it (well maybe not at the end of the session;>) but by the time I get home).  It has made a difference in my ability to ride correctly over the longer distances.

Sandy Terp
(Neigh-Per-Say)
http://pages.ivillage.com/misc/wambo