RE: Re: helmets

Bette Lamore <woa@stormnet.com> wrote:
>years ago when we had classes in the correct way to bail. I usually hit
>the ground on the back of my right or left shoulder depending on which
>side I bail out on. Don't have to bail very often, but this method has
>probably saved my life (or at least my bones) more than once. Part of my
>fear of helmets is that I'm not sure what effect the helmet would have
>on my sommersaulting. Anyone care to comment?

Bette,
Years back when I finally convinced myself that I needed to wear a helmet (other people had very serious accidents; mine was "just" a couple of concussions [now I know why I'm having trouble remembering things!]), I had one of those hot, heavy velvet covered helmets. Group of friends and I were out just enjoying the trails. I was leading - we were all doing extended trots or easy cantering. I knew there was a boggy area at the bottom of the next hill, so we were just beginning to slow down for that. Next thing I knew, my horse was going down. Turns out the sand hill had turned into quicksand (really weird situation - the area just turned into "Jello").
All my friends watched as I tucked my head and shoulder and rolled several times (God or guardian angel was whispering in my ear) - and my horse rolled butt over head right behind me! The helmet did not hinder me in any way. I very thankfully walked away from that one. And better still, my horse walked away fine also (ok, we were both shaking pretty bad! :-)  ).

Helmets are worth every nickel spent on them. Just my .02 cents worth.
Linda Parrish
Kennard, Texas