Endurance

    Does one not think that the people showing hunters and jumpers, etc. do not ask their horses to go the extra mile and that once again the most aggressive rider wins for the day because they pushed their horse over one more fence or jump.  The difference being there are no vet checks along the way at a show to help the horses out who are not in good enough shape to continue.  Not to mention that everyone and I do not mean all but a good 90 percent of the people there showing are out for blood and it is yours they want.  Not a terrible friendly crowd at all, especially once you start beating them.
    Endurance rides on the other hand are about the most friendly lot of people I have ever competed with.  Very helpful and encouraging or a least 90 percent are and I quess no matter where you go there is a bad apple.  Vet checks along the way so if the horses are not fit to continue they are pulled.  Never seen this happen at a show but I sure have seen allot of abuse and exhausted horses pushed way further than should have ever gone.  The motto of a horse show is "To win whatever it takes" verses "To finish is to win.
    So this is all just my two cents worth.  It does come from having show all over the country in numerous disciplines and having done endurance riding also.  I will take the endurance rides  and riders any day.
Kath