Re: endurance prospect

Hi Pat

I understand your concerns but I read the same mails and I don't read that
this is the ultimate goal for everyone.
The discipline of endurance race riding has been evolving steadily for the
past 15 years.  If the speeds on major race rides in Europe have shown a
substantial increase in the past 5-8 years I believe it is because we have
learnt more about conditioning and feeding and this has enabled us to
produce fitter horses more capable of responding to the demands we place on
them.  This, to my mind, is a  normal evolution and one that is not
restricted to endurance riding.
The other aspect is the participation of the UAE countries.  This influence
is either negative or positive depending on your point of view, however
either way you still have a choice in the matter.
No-one HAS to sell their best horse to the UAE.  No-one HAS to go and
compete there.  All power to those that can and do and are prepared to take
the UAE riders on and, like, Darolyn, give them a run for their money.
There are still plenty of technically demanding rides all over the world
where your one horse one rider team can succeeed.  The proof is that the UAE
riders don't dominate the major rides in Europe as they do in their own
country.  They can and are beaten regularly.
Their power is that they have the funds not only to buy made endurance
horses but to have enough of them to compete at most major rides in Europe &
the UAE.  Again this type of influence is not restricted to endurance, its
just that its new to us and it goes against some of our old-established
understandings.
However, as the UAE seem to be prepared to pour money into research into
nutrition and training then lets benefit from it.  We can do this without
having to go and ride there.
I guess my only beef with their participation is when there are rumours that
they want the rules changed to encompass their interpretation of endurance.
Perhaps we will end up not only with two types of "endurance" but also two
sets of rules.
I would love to go the UAE just for a "look-see" however  the idea of doing
160kms on a flat track with a slosh bottle at the my elbow the entire way
does nothing for me and I don't mind admitting it.  On the other hand the
speed and the challenge of conditioning a horse for this type of race
appeals to a lot of people, and thats fine for them.
I don't see that its a question of staying in the Dark Ages, just a question
of deciding which aspect of the sport appeals to you and staying with it.
What I personally would like to do is learn from what is coming out of the
UAE (via Tom Ivers and others) in order to condition my own horses better.
This way I can hopefully Ton 10 once again, (in the more geographically
demanding rides) as I was able to do 5-8 years ago when speeds were slower.
This will mean going faster but hopefully I can prepare my horses better and
the ultimate decision as to exactly HOW fast I go lies with me.

Heather
SW France