Re: RC: Fading syndrome

In a message dated 2/5/00 12:03:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, dpwg@juno.com
writes:

<< I think the ingrediant missing from the diet
 is Selenium. Had 2 horses from this area that
 had this syndrome , one black arab stallion, one
 grey arab gelding. The gelding was put on feed that
 had the selenium in it and it greatly improved his looks
 He was starting to look like an appaloosa around the eyes.
 Pat and Razzel in Kansas (where the selenium in the hays may be
 defiecent) >>

I asked the Arab board folks about it (since we'd discussed it there earlier)
and apparently the nutrient to which "faders" are overly sensitive to a
deficiency is copper.  However, selenium is vital to cell membrane function,
and there is a lot of interplay between micronutrients, so I'm not surprised
that a selenium-deficient horse could have displayed a similar problem--or
maybe the selenium deficiency caused him to not utilize or absorb copper
properly either...

Heidi