Re: Re: Beet Pulp & grain????

I think what you're feeding sounds fine.  The advantage to mixed grains
along with grass hay, beet pulp, etc is generally that you're more likely to
fill all the nutritional 'gaps' if you're providing a variety of feeds.  For
example, beet pulp is a decent source of calcium, but is a bit low in
phosphorus.  Grains are just the opposite, so they balance each other
nicely.  Different grains have different amino acid profiles, and you tend
to get an overall better balance if you feed mixed grains rather than just
oats, or just corn.

Nutritionally, they'd probably be fine without the alfalfa, but it looks
like a pretty cold winter up here in Colorado, and a little protein helps
stoke the furnace to keep them warm.

The other reason why a mixed diet tends to work out better than just feeding
one thing is that there's really a wide range of nutritional value derived
from one region (or field) to another.  Crops are really being pushed to
produce as much as possible, and the quality of soil and fertilization will
affect the quality of the forage grown to a huge extent---poor quality soil,
poor quality crop.  So unless you're having every batch of hay, beet pulp
and grain analyzed and doing alot of number crunching, feeding a variety of
foodstuffs helps hedge your bet that overall, your nutritional profile
doesn't contain any major shortfalls.  This doesn't mean you should go
adding tons of supplements, or dozens of different types of feed.  Just that
using mixed grains over straight, and maybe a little beet pulp along with
the grass hay is usually a good idea without getting having the whole thing
get out of hand. :-)

Good luck,
Susan G