FW: Int.Newsgroup: January 2001 International Column

-----Original Message-----
From: Lori & Rick Stewart [mailto:rk-ld.stewart@usa.net]
.

January 2001 AERC International News

Submitted by: Lori Stewart , December 4, 2000

Corrida dos Campeoes or The Brazil Race of Champions

By Patti Pizzo

A few months ago a few us were invited to take part in the Brazilian Race of Champions, an FEI Cat A 100-mile Endurance Race. The race was sponsored in part by the Al Reef Endurance Stables of Abu Dhabi. Two of their riders competed on Brazilian horses with one of the horses finishing third and receiving Best Condition.

What a thrill it was for me, personally, to finally see this lovely country and all my friends in Brazil. Cida Gazola riding Epopeu Rach, a friend I made at the ’96 WEC in Kansas, won the ride. Another good friend, Ana Luisa Meirelles riding Jatek finished second.

My husband Tony and I, Tracy Webb-Hoskins and Dominique Freeman all flew down there for the race. We were all riding friends’ horses, me on Itabara, Lica Leos’ great mare who had competed in the World Championships in France finishing 21st place. Tracy and Dominique were riding Leo Steinbruch's big grey geldings. They both finished well - Tracy fourth and Dominique also in the top ten. Tracy was beaming at the awards ceremony!!!! Unfortunately I got pulled.

Leo and Lica both live very close to the ride site as does the ride organizer Malu Frisoni, and Adolpho Souza Naves. In fact Malu had about 10 acres of land leveled for this event to provide an area for tents, tables, food vendors, a huge vet check area and pit area. Everything was first class. She also opened her lovely home for the race and hosted the 2000 WEC Gold and Silver medallists, French riders Maya Killa Perringerard and Cecile Meletto.

All of the homes that I visited were old coffee plantations. They were beautiful with huge windows, tall ceilings, and orchids growing on the trees. On the ride trail there was a spot where we even saw 10 beautiful bright green parrots. Tracy and Dominique reported that at Leo's house there were monkeys in the trees. Truly the most beautiful country I have ever visited. And the coffee??? I have gotten to like the coffee in the little cups vs. the American style of "Big Gulp" 20 ouncers. All in all a great trip to a beautiful country with great riders, and wonderful horses.

Attention Globe Trotting Endurance Riders: AERC will give you lifetime mileage credit for rides you and/or your horse complete at FEI and nationally sanctioned endurance events in other countries. Just send a letter requesting lifetime mileage credit along with a copy of the ride results (with your name highlighted) to AERC.

2001CONVENTION DATES:

January 10-14 AHSA Convention, Colorado Springs, Colorado

February 22-25 ELDRIC Conference in San Agustin del Guadalix, Spain

March 2-3 AERC Convention, Silver Legacy, Reno, Nevada

2001 FEI Pan American Championship – August 24, South Woodstock , Vermont: