RE: Winter feeding

Carla,
If your horses look good, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  I
have 6 horses and all but one is an easy keeper.  When we have good quality
hay, they each get one slice (or thereabouts if it is lighter or heavier)
morning and night.  They get a handful of Strategy to make them happy (or to
help with supplements like the stuff for sand).

This year, one of our loads of hay was not as good as normal - we got
desperate and accepted what we didn't want because there wasn't much
available.  I alternate the good bales with the ugly ones and give a lot
more of the ugly ones - but still not free choice all day.

The one horse that isn't an easy keeper doesn't get free choice either.  He
gets a slice or more of whatever hay, a slice of alfalfa (which I only feed
cuz I have it and want to get rid of it) and 1.5 pounds of Strategy.  If I
put out free choice for him, the others would get it and they DON'T need it.
If I lock him in with excess hay, he will hurt himself to get out and paw
and urinate and poop in the hay out of frustration.

They all get extra when it's cold - sometimes my mom will throw out an extra
pile at lunch or when I go out at 10pm to check on them.

You are the best judge of how your horses are doing.  If they look and
perform great, you must be doing something right.

I would only change what I'm doing if a) a horse drops weight, b) a horse
doesn't have the energy I think he should or c) I became worried about the
weeds that they are left to munch on just from grazing habit.

Marlene