Can you paint a helmet???

I think this was discussed maybe a LONG while back
on Ridecamp. If I recall correctly didn't someone
say that painting a helmet would damage it?
Those of you who
paint your helmets, have you had any problems with it?
Does the paint chip easy? I have a matte finish
Troxel and think that may hold paint better than a
shiny finish? What would be the best kind of paint -
the auto stuff? Can you tell I'm itchin' to do
SOMETHING horse related while snowed in? Kristi

=====
He's not just a horse,
he's a little bit of
heaven on earth.