GPS Receivers and Software

There were a couple of questions previously on Ridecamp regarding the
merits of various GPS receivers and software.  Prior to May 1st, 2000
the GPS system was intentionally degraded (military paranoia) by the
government to reduce it's accuracy.  This was called "Selective
Adaptability".  That went away on May 1st and the GPS system is
unbelievably accurate...you can locate any place on earth within 20
meters.  This is about 10 times the previous accuracy. For those of you
interested in this technology you might want to visit:

http://gpsnow.com/

This site sells most major brands of GPS Receivers and the software
databases that interface with them.  They have great prices.  The
software section has a comparison chart of features and functions that
will help you choose the most appropriate vendor.

I have a Garmin GPSIII+ with MapSource Software that allows me to
directly download Topographic Maps to the GPS.  Garmin provides periodic
upgrades to these products on their web site at Garmin.com.  I don't
have to "plot" where I am...its right there on the screen.  I also
purchased TOPO!GPS USA and the TOPO! Regional Maps showing North Georgia
and the Great Smokey Mountains which gives me more features and
functions and better resolution than MapSource. I can upload Waypoints
and "Trails" to the product through the GPSIII+ serial interface showing
where I've been.  The best thing is that you can use the TOPO! software
to show you elevations, terrain features, etc. and then plot waypoints
along the easiest route from Point A to Point B. Download the waypoints
to the GPS before you leave home then just follow the breadcrumbs.  Make
corrections as you go and upload the changes when you return.

In addition, I park the GPS on the dash of my truck on the way to
rides.  It gives me all kinds of info about each exit, (gas,
restaurants, hotels, etc) and also provides time-over-distance info.  I
have been pleased with the products I'm using.

I'm sure there are others which work as well depending on your intended
use.

Regards, Jim Holland and Sun of Dimanche