Re: Re: Non-freezing strategies (was Buckets)

I have seen a system here where an 8' long piece of 3' diameter concrete
pipe is set upright in the ground.  The bottom which is about 5' down is
sealed with concrete.  The water from a buried water line goes into the
bottom.  A usual float valve stops it when it is  2 feet or so deep.  A
small electric pump, like used for outside fountains, pumps water to the
top.  A pan forms a the drinking supply, and has a pipe to allow overflow to
fall back down the hole to the water pool.  It works great even when the
temperature is below zero for a month.

Of course, you do need both water and electricity at the spot.

We are not so high tech.  100 gal stock tank insulated with Styrofoam
covered with plywood, an insulated top covering most of it, and an electric
heater.  With 6 horses I refill about 2 times a week with a hose fed through
a 2" plastic pipe that goes through the cellar wall.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016
sisufarm@mmmpcc.org