no ACL

> The cartilage tear wasn't bad, but I have no ACL left.
>  None.  Evidently the "unstable knee" has caused a lot
> of arthritis in my 40 year old joint.  The surgeon
> wasn't prepared to do an ACL graft Friday

Linda,
I tore my ACL in 1979. The ACL injury gave me no problem as far as
riding, but I gave up softball and had an excuse not to try skiing (sorry
Bill >eg<).  Then last year the knee started locking up. That was the
cartilege tear getting in the joint.  If I'd known that they might could
have stitched the meniscus before it got all chewed up. It finally locked
up for good and they had to remove the meniscus and *that* has had an
effect on my riding.  None of the surgeons I talked to recommended a
graft for someone my age (39).  I've tried the Synvisc injections with
little improvement.  The magnets work on the weird weather ache, but the
only real improvement I got was from taking 1500 mg of glucosamine per
day. It took almost the whole 60 days to make a difference, but it truly
helped.  I do much better at a fast trot than a slow one. So competition
is better on it than training.  Good luck!

Angie
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.