Tall Horses

I'm finding the discussion about heights of horses / riders really interesting.  I don't think I know of anyone with a horse that stands less than 15.2 hh.  Toc is considered "short" at just under 15.3hh, but because he's built like a sherman tank with an attitude to match, it's kind of accepted that he makes up for his lack of height in other areas.

After spending three years sitting on my "short" horse, I was asked to exercise a friend's A grade jumper, who stood at 17 hh.  I got a leg up from a groom, expecting to feel as if I were sitting on an elephant.  I was rather disappointed to look down at this long, but rather spindly neck, narrow shoulders and little chest.  I really didn't feel like I was sitting on a lot of horse at all.  He had a long stride, but so does Toc.

I guess the point I'm making is that size is relative.  A big (tall) horse can give a small ride, and a small horse can give a big ride.  I like to sit on something with a nice, cresty neck, wide shoulders and a barrel chest.  I like to feel as if my legs are encompassing a round barrel, and not just draped around a little tummy.  And most importantly, when I ask that horse to move forward, I like to feel as if his back feet come underneath him.

And if he's a little tall for me to get up on, I lead him to the nearest rock and use it as a mounting block.

Tracey