Re: Re: drop those stirrups!

Laurie wrote:

>They only problem I had with dressage was the leg positions. For canter you
>move you leg back behind you and apply pressure. <

Sounds like you were asked to get the canter strike-off from the outside
leg, and not the inside.  This is usually NOT a dressage leg position but a
SJing leg position.  Your inside leg should stay on the girth, maintain
impulsion and ask for the strike-off.  Only your outside leg should move
slightly back, and not apply pressure, merely stop the quarters from
swinging out.

I was also taught the "incorrect" way (use outside leg) and it is a real
problem when you start doing lateral work, especially on a
correctly-schooled horse.  You really feel a tit when you ask for the canter
strike-off and your horse moves into half-pass.

>When you drop it back to the center position the horse will drop back to a
trot.>

Your horse will maintain the canter if he's balanced, not on the forehand,
and if you continue to apply pressure with your inside leg.  If he's been
taught to canter off the outside leg / leg back position, then you have to
reteach him correctly.

On a naturally forward-going horse (like Toc!!!!) it's not too difficult :-)

Tracey