Long toe, low heel

Hi, got some questions about this problem. I bought a couple of horses two years ago that had been neglected as far as farrier care. The one horse was so bad that his fetlock was on the ground. Both horse had underrun heals on all fours.

Well over the last two years, they have gotten trimmed regularly with the natural trim. The Lyle "Bergy" Bergeleen method. They are now 4 year old and we rode them this past summer. The one that was more underrun, I rode with support boots. They are coming up on their heels, but it has been a slow process.

My question is: should a person put shoes with wedges on horses like this. My farrier was against this because he said the wedges may keep the heels from coming back to the right angle. In other words, the wedges would "squish" the heels. The hoof is better off with being left natural and wearing naturally. The horse did fine, I did some 25 mile LD rides with him, and he did good, even BC a couple of times. I had no lameness problems with him and the angle of his hoof has improved ALOT. I figure why fix it, if it isn't broke. But my main concern with this way is undue stress to the legs because of the angle. What do some of you think?

Lynette