drop those stirrups!

  Cy is barefoot, so while waiting for his feet to grow, I am
limited to pasture-riding.  The farm I keep him at has an un-
used pasure that kind-sorta serves OK for a ring.  This was the
first time I have done any 'ring work' on the 'Cyco-horse'.
After some brain-farts and seeing what he could get away with,
he settled down and was pretty good.  I did circles, figure
eights and serpentines at a walk, and halting/standing, working
on steady, even pace and responsiveness.  Did a little work at
a running-walk - he really needs alot of work at maintaining an
even, steady pace when gaiting.  The real eye-opener, though,
came when I decided to drop my stirrups for a while: WOW does
that make any balance issues you have obvious - the first
circle I did I nearly fell off, I was so imbalanced!  I really
had to work at lengthening my inside leg and not 'folding' to
the inside (I tend to ride turns with my inside hip up, inside
shoulder down).  Of course it's no big news-flash that riding
without stirrups is a good exercise - but as a non-competitive
rider it's easy to give schooling exercises short-shrift (plus
middle age makes the security of stirrups increasingly
appealing!).  It's amazing how out-of-kilter you can get and
not even realize it when you can compensate using the
stirrups.  I used to ride bareback as a kid alot and it's does
wonders for seat and balance.  I'm not sure I'm ready for
bareback on Cy yet: he still has his moments of idiocy and I am
still rusty, but I will try to do some stirrup-less riding on
each ride now.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag