Re: RC: to catch a horse conclusion

In a message dated 12/11/2000 8:33:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Pamnetus@aol.com writes:

<< This is the first time I have
 seen a horse be so viscious.  I can't understand why she didn't kick him or
 get away. Can anyone offer an explanation?     >>

Suggsted explanation:  Horses establish the pecking order early on at their
first acquaintance.  Some fight viciously, others merely lay back ears and
sneer.  But the dominant one is determined at first contact.  This is not to
say that somewhere down the line, a subservient one can't re-arrange the
pecking order, if only temporarily.  The pecking order is not always
determined by the size or age of the horse, nor always by who has been in
that particular location the longest, nor by sex.  I've also seen what I call
the "musical feed tubs" syndrome, where horse A displaces horse B who
displaces horse C, who goes right back and displaces horse A.
We once had a wimpy little gelding, not too bright, small, gentle and kind,
who was so intimidated by the other geldings in his paddock that they would
cormer him and refuse to let him eat at all.  He literally would starve to
death before he would make any attmept to fight his way out of that corner or
the order they put him into.  I had to feed him specially so he wouldn't
starve.  Hating domination or prejudice of any kind, it used to make me
furious.....at the dominating geldings and at the wimp who wouldn't spit in
their eye.  But of course, I was reading human nature into a horse's society,
and that doesn't always work.
All this obeservation is not a scientific work, but merely my 25 some-odd
years of observation of horse behavior, made possible by the fact that our
horse paddock is immediately across the driveway and a perfect view outside
my home office window.  Pretty fascinating stuff.  I study people, too!  Have
done so all my life.

Barbara