Re: RC: Arrrrggggghhhh - ticks!

In a message dated 12/11/2000 8:10:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Onefarmgirl@aol.com writes:

<< What can I use that's
 safe for the horses but will kill those awful bloodsuckers >>

A vet onetime suggested using Zimectrin (or generic brand of same content)
wormer. it's supposed to kill ticks systemically, just as it kills worms.
Not sure whether it really does that much good, but it's worth a try.  We
have tons of ticks here on central coast CA, especially in one pasture where
we keep our two young fillies.  An overload of ticks is really hard on older
horses.  We had to remove our 26 year old from that pasture because he was
losing so much weight.  Too bad we can't use Frontline Top Spot that we use
to kill fleas and ticks on our dogs, or Ivermectrin pour-on that we use on
cattle.  I've never heard of using pour-on insecticide on horses....there
must be a very good reason it's not recommended.  Any vets out there want to
comment on why pour-on is not used on horses?

Barbara