to catch a horse conclusion

I can now catch my young mare without a problem-she comes when called like
the other two.  80 acres and seven horses.  My friends quarter horse gelding
took a dislike to this mare and was terrorising her.  Took hair off her back
and sides with his teeth.   Last week he had her trapped and she jumped a
barbed wire fence.  Cuts and scrapes with no serious injury thank goodness.
He of course is no longer in the same pasture.  This is the first time I have
seen a horse be so viscious.  I can't understand why she didn't kick him or
get away. Can anyone offer an explanation?    Pam