hackamores

 I don't normally post because I am new to endurance and Arabs and don't
feel yet that I have anything worthwhile to say, so, I have been mostly
reading and learning..  However, I now have a question that I need help
with and thought that instead of asking my horsey friends (and
embarrassing myself) that I would utilize Ridecamp!  I recently purchased
an Arabian that I am so happy with.  When "testing driving" her I used a
snaffle.  However, she has done two 50 mile rides, both with a hackamore.
 The lady I bought her from even ordered me a hackamore just like the one
my horse is accustomed to.  It is the type with a padded, fairly wide
leather band going across the face and then a strap in the back.  My
question is, where exactly is the band supposed to be?  Is it in the
middle of the dished out part of the Arabs face or lower?  I realize that
if it is down by the nose the horse cannot breathe, correct?  So if
someone could describe to me where it is supposed to lay I would very
much appreciate it.  Also, on the flip side, where is the strap opposite
that on the back of the head to go?   At the more narrow part (lower
part) of the head or over that bone on the wider part?  Sorry for the
poor descriptions, hoping someone will know what I am referring to.  I
rode her today with it on and hoped for the best and she seemed very
tolerant, but she is tolerant by nature. I just do not want to do her an
injustice by having it on wrong.  Thanks for your help.

Terri and Starlit Harbor
Holt, MO

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.