Re: Trail Development in Rural Ag Communities

> > If the farmers >would>allow us to groom a 5 ft wide trail next to the
> creeks and allow us>access through their land next to the creeks, we
> could have a nice>little circuit of safe riding space >away from traffic
> that would >enhance>the general rural community and maybe even help
> everyone get to know
> >one>another.
>
> Everything Angie said made lots of sense---But-- (I am looking at this
from a farmer's point of view, having been one myself)-if you do get
permission---make sure you ALWAYS shut every gate you go through and shut it
well--pastures often incorporate the creeks--and I'd sure hate to have to go
round up my cattle--ALSO - make sure whether or not there are horses in
those pastures; I had my stallion running in my horse pasture---I would NOT
have liked strange horses going through that pasture---on the other hand I
would not have minded shutting him up one day a week so you could ride.
You need to consider that there may be no gates in the fences--you might
offer to buy one.   NEVER ride in a field, planted or otherwise, or on a wet
hayfield - horses' feet leave holes that make it bumpy to drive over later
with haying equipment.   You don't need to be told not to litter--and don't
bring the dogs--I would really hate it--especially if the dogs chased my
cows, or fought with my dogs, etc.   Don't bring more people/horses than
agreed upon.   Don't do anything on the land not agreed upon until talking
it over.   These are things that will help gain trust.
    Hope this is helpul.   I think it is a great idea but as Angie said it
may take some time to gain trust---it is especially hard for us to trust
"city people" as so many don't grow up with realization of  the inherent
problems of open gates, etc, etc.,  drummed into them from Day One.
Claudia