Re: RC: Trail Development in Rural Ag Communities

> If the farmers >would>allow us to groom a 5 ft wide trail next to the
creeks and allow us>access through their land next to the creeks, we
could have a nice>little circuit of safe riding space >away from traffic
that would >enhance>the general rural community and maybe even help
everyone get to know
>one>another.

Sounds like a possibility.  In my neighborhood, I've had the best luck
with slowly worming my way into everyone's good graces.  One by one the
local farmers have told me I can cross their property.  Funny thing, when
I first moved here and asked about renting a small empty field down the
road the farmer gave me a very abrupt "No".  Within a year, he offered it
to me free of charge.  One farm owner had barred all horses because he
had a valuable hunting dog and riders kept bringing dogs thru with them.
Once they saw that I never let one come with me, I was allowed to ride
there.  There is even one rich guy who wouldn't even let the lady who
boarded horses on her property bring guests, but after 5 years invited me
to ride on his place.  The trick was to gain their trust.

 You'll probably have a lot more trouble trying to make it an "official
trail" than you would getting permission to ride through there yourself.
You'd be amazed the grief farmers get from the government about anything
bordering a creek these days.  If it were me, I'd start with the one who
knew me best, ride there awhile and then ask the next farm over.  Little
by little I'd try to work myself out a route.  If they'd let you drive a
bushhog down through there, fine, but if not, try riding it a lot before
the grass starts growing fast in the spring and maybe you'll have it
established. Also, a 4-wheeler beats down a nice width, if they'd let you
drive one on it.

Finally, be very careful before you start training very fast.  I train on
land bordering Lookout Creek and have hit some really weird sink holes
100 yards out from it.  The land may be different here, we have caves and
such underground, but it's pretty scarey to be trotting along and your
horse hits a hole where there wasn't one.  There are some muskrat type
critters that like to make holes near creeks too I believe.

Angie (already unsubscribed, but waiting for it to kick in)

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.