Re: RC: sweepstakes horses

At 8:08 PM +0000 2/4/00, Scott & Dede Johnson wrote:
>I was wondering if someone could enlighten me.  My Arab I bought recently
>was said to be a "sweepstakes" horse. The previous owner told me this and
>said I would get more info when I registered him.  I haven't got anything
>other than the regular pedigree papers.   What exactly is the sweepstakes
>all about?
>
>Dede & Louie

It means that your horse was nominated, in utero, for the IAHA
"Breeders Sweepstakes".  The owners paid $300 for this, in hopes of
having a foal that would someday excel in the show ring or in
endurance/CTR.

You have to pay a one time fee of $25 to transfer the Sweepstakes
registration to you.  You have to be a currrent member of IAHA, and
have already had the registration papers transferred to you.  The
IAHA program for endurance is not as lucrative as that for the show
horses, because they combine the payout pool for purebreds and
Half-Arabs together.

Reading the fees from the back of Ember's Sweepstakes certificate of
enrollment.  Haven't done the transfer on her, bought her at 2.  No
sense rushing things <g>.  There doesn't seem to be a time limit, and
she's not in line to make Sweepstakes money any time soon.    Which
reminds me.  I don't have one of these things for Celesteele
either...but he's just a kid.

Lynne

Ontario, California    http://www.lynnesite.com
Norco Riverdance Ride (PS) 9/2/00