Re: RC: Fwd: RC: breeder ethics

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 19:04:52 EST SandyDSA@aol.com writes:
> I believe Heidi's inference - and we happen to agree - is that many
> breeders  AND buyers will breed for height at the expense of other and
more
> important qualities. <snip>   but to breed for height or for color or
for
> dishy faces  or HUGE trot - without also and firstly breeding for
temperament,
> soundness  of leg and wind, and overall athletic quality - that is
really,
> well, I can't  use the word that best fits.

I agree Sandy.  I want black foals.  So, I got a black mare.  Can't even
begin to count how many black mares I looked at before finding one that
fit all my conformation/disposition/type/quality criteria.  Then I went
through the same rigamole looking for the stallion.  Of course, that
search was further restricted by the fact that the stallion also had to
be homozygous black.  The good thing is that I'm learning a LOT about
conformation and how to spot the faults.  The color my be my first
criteria, but it's only the first of many.

Rae
Tall C Arabians -- TX